Saturday, May 7, 2011

vincent van gogh

self portrait 1889. The White house at Night 1890. The Starry Night 1889.


"Little appreciated during his lifetime, his fame grew in the years after his death. Today, he is widely regarded as one of history's greatest painters and an important contributor to the foundations of modern art. Van Gogh did not begin painting until his late twenties, and most of his best-known works were produced during his final two years. He produced more than 2,000 artworks, consisting of around 900 paintings and 1,100 drawings and sketches. Today many of his pieces—including his numerous self portraits, landscapes, portraits and sunflowers—are among the world's most recognizable and expensive works of art." -wiki


A good picture is equivalent to a good deed.

As we advance in life it becomes more and more difficult, but in fighting the difficulties the inmost strength of the heart is developed.

But I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.

Do not quench your inspiration and your imagination; do not become the slave of your model.

Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.

Happiness... it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.

How can I be useful, of what service can I be? there is something inside me, what can it be?

I am still far from being what I want to be, but with God's help I shall succeed.

I dream of painting and then I paint my dream.

I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.

I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day.

I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.

If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.

In spite of everything I shall rise again; I will take up my pencil, which I have forsaken in my great discouragement, and I will go on with my drawing.

It is better to be high-spirited even though one makes more mistakes, than to be narrow-minded and all too prudent.

Love always brings difficulties, that is true, but the good side of it is that it gives energy.

Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well.

Painting is a faith, and it imposes the duty to disregard public opinion.

Paintings have a life of their own that derives from the painter's soul.

열심히 노력하다가 갑자기 나태해지고
잘 참다가 조급해지고
희망에 부풀었다가 절망에 빠지는 일을 또 다시 반복하고 있다.
그래도 계속해서 노력하면 수채화를 더 잘 이해할 수 있겠지
그게 쉬운 일이었다면 그 속에서 아무런 즐거움도 얻을 수 없었을 것이다
그러니 계속해서 그림을 그려야 겠다.

-  Vincent Van Gogh 1853-1890

No comments:

Post a Comment