Tuesday, May 31, 2011

So far, the journey here in Orvieto, Italy has been amazing and breathe-taking. I can not describe the beauty of this place with my shallow word bank. Even though I tried not to downsize my expectations about living in Italy but.. come on, its Italy, I couldn't help but to dream and fantasy about it, but even with all the imaginations and high hopes about, Im still blown away with every little moment living here in Orvieto. Orvieto is a small town holding on to its traditional living style and history; they preserve the architectures and natural art of the place. Everywhere you look, every little streets and corners exude the beauty or italian-ism. the Duomo, a chapel, hold so much beauty on its own. This place is known to be one of the many tourist areas for the foreigner which explains every noon, there are groups of tourists dropped off by buses. You just have to make sure to avoid that time of the day around the main street area, just because they fill up all the restaurant, crowd around shops and can get pretty noisy. Its funny how I describe them as tourists and I am one of them, only difference would be that Im staying in Orvieto for a longer period than them and gets to study and explore much more in depth.
Finding spot for internet access might be the only down side about living in Orvieto. Due to over reliant habit to the wifi and cellphones and easy access to anything I wanted back in the state has definitely made the first few days difficult and challenging to deal with. Im pretty sure I had a bit of mental breakdown and a bit of seizure because I didn't know what to do without technology. fortunately, some cafe's here in Orvieto provides internet service, its fairly good but when students all crowd around one cafe and tries to use one internet service, the speed is just barely there. I had to minimize the things I wanted to with the internet, such as sending quick emails, uploading photos on social media, check any important matters. I even had pre write my emails before I had the internet so that all I needed to do was just copy and paste and send. The short spending time on computer really opened up more events to happen in my life. I was out running, writing diaries, doing water color, exploring the town, spending more quality time with housemates and even friends Ive made at school. I was able to appreciate smaller things that nature provides for me and small talks with friends.
I get to travel around Italy and visit other places besides Orvieto during the weekends. We plan to visit Cinque Terre, Rome and Venice. I think I would have been extremely scared if I was doing this by myself but with friends, it doesn't seem scary at all, rather I get super excited and can't wait for the adventures and sightseeing.


word of the day- illo-Journalis

No comments:

Post a Comment